Friday, October 3, 2008

Freebie - Breast Cancer Awareness

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have first hand experience with breast cancer so I am always aware of it, what it can do and how it affects so many areas of my life. I will always remember the fear in the eyes of my husband and daughters when we found out just how serious my cancer was. It was Stage 3. With the help of an excellent doctor, the newest treatments, the love and support of my family and close friend, and my own determination to live, I made it through an awful year. I now have seven cancer free years behind me. However, I live with the knowledge that I am at extremely high risk of it coming back. It’s not something I can put out of my mind – everyday when I shower, I see the scars on my body and am reminded of it. Because I am at such high risk, I am tested every 3 months. If something does show up, we’ll be right on top of it and can start treatment immediately. I have to admit that I get nervous before every one of those tests!

Call it fate, whatever you’d like, but I am constantly running into women who have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and are still in the awful state of shock that comes with that piece of news. I’m able to tell them that it is possible to live through it and come out on the other side a stronger woman. Sometimes, I just hold them while they cry. You have to cry. That’s part of the healing. I’ve had a couple of women tell me I was their angel when they most needed one. I am certainly no angel, just one of too many that has had to suffer from this horrible disease.

We must find a cure, or better yet, a way to prevent breast cancer. I don’t want my daughters and granddaughter to live in fear of getting breast cancer. I don’t want ANY woman to live with that fear. Do your part – take care of yourself with monthly self-exams and annual mammograms. If you can afford to, donate to breast cancer research.

I’ve made a quick page that can be used to honor a breast cancer survivor or someone you’ve lost because of breast cancer. I used a kit, French Flirt, designed by Irene Alexeeva to make this QP. She has very graciously given me permission to offer it as a Freebie, which is something she has never done before. Please visit her blog at http://www.irenealexeeva.blogspot.com. Take a look at her beautiful work and please leave her a special thank you.

And thank you for reading all the way through this rambling.

French Flirt by Irene Alexeeva




Freebie - Find A cure

6 comments:

Happy Scrap Girl said...

What a beautiful QP! Thanks so much for linking your freebie to my freebies list!

Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Oh Annie, how beautiful and thoughful of you to offer this amazing QP. I've said this before, but you have such a good eye for lay-out.
Thank you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add this to my previous comment:
I am so happy you shared your story about Breast Cancer because I'm very sure it will help the next woman that encounters this disease. Your words are so inspirational.
Hugs
Sue

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving such a frank account of how you felt!! My niece is battling breast cancer for the third time in a year. She is a wonderful girl and fights this awful disease with all she has!! She is due to marry next summer. Like you, she makes everyone else feel better!! I hope things stay good for you and thank you again!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving such a frank account of how you felt!! My niece is battling breast cancer for the third time in a year. She is a wonderful girl and fights this awful disease with all she has!! She is due to marry next summer. Like you, she makes everyone else feel better!! I hope things stay good for you and thank you again!!!

mcgaelicgal said...

Marvelous! Love the vintage style and the almost-mixed-media look! :D

Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

Sláinte ~ Kirsten aka mcgaelicgal